Use Your Facebook Profile for Business Benefit
May 26, 2016 by MaryEllen
A solopreneur who wanted to use Facebook more effectively but wasn’t yet ready to create a Facebook Page asked, “Can my personal profile help me in business?” What follows is my answer to her.
Choosing to use your Profile for business helps expand natural visibility in the newsfeed with your friends. Because organic reach (what shows when you hit home) in Facebook is low, I encourage entrepreneurs to use their Profiles in conjunction with a Page. Posting on both a Page and a Profile adds exposure and engagement.
Why? Because our personal and business lives are entwined. Social media requires a personal connection for effectiveness. Personal posts that aren’t overly revealing help accomplish this. Here are a few additional reason to consider using your Profile for business:
- If you are interested in being viewed as a thought leader, you need followers. Followers who are not friends can now subscribe to your posts. In order to allow followers in Facebook, go to your general settings. On the left hand side of the page, scroll down to followers. Enable the “Who can follow me” to say “Everybody. This will allow your posts to be publicly visible to people who are not your friends or friends of your friends.
- In the “About” section of your Profile, use your website (if you have a Facebook Business Page, use it) as your workplace.
- Use keywords and hashtags appropriate to your business brand.
- Create “Smart Lists” to segment personal and professional friends if you prefer to do that. You can then post to specific lists rather than posting publicly.
- Check that all descriptions and URLs are uniform.
- Ensure your backgrounds and other images follow your theme/branding.
- Publish consistent, highly useful posts to build brand.
If standing out from the clutter interests you, the time is right to re-think your Facebook Profile for business benefit.
- Facebook has a mammoth footprint: of 1.65 billion users, 1.1 billion or 67% log in daily. (Source: Facebook, 4/27/16)
- Zephoria Digital Marketing offers 14 additional statistics to convince you Facebook counts.
Your personal profile follows you in Groups, for event responses, and everywhere you go on Facebook. The average user spends 20’ on the channel. Why would you NOT want to use the opportunity to open a conversation with a potential customer through your profile?